Gilbert & Sullivan Selection (from the Mikado & Pirates of Penzance) for 2 Bb Clarinets.
Gilbert & Sullivan represent a unique collaboration that lit up the theatrical world of the Victorian era and have been entertaining audiences ever since W. S. Gilbert wrote the words and Arthur Sullivan the music to a dozen operas towards the end of the nineteenth century. These operas captured a sense of British tradition, with the inclusion of lords and ladies and the like, whilst entertainment was created in the form of farcical scenarios and general good old British humour.
The pieces presented within come from two of the best known and loved operas, The Pirates of Penzance and The Mikado and can be played purely for fun or in a concert setting. These arrangements hope to recreate the essence of the original and have been chosen as pieces that suit the clarinet.
This selection comprises:
Six Arias from Gilbert and Sullivan’s most popular Operas, The Mikado and Pirates of Penzance.
- Oh, Better Far to Live and Die (Pirates)
- When a Felon’s not Engaged with his Employment (Pirates)
- With Catlike Tread (Pirates)
- Three Little Maids from School (Mikado)
- Behold the Lord High Executioner! (Mikado)
- The Flowers that Bloom in the Spring (Mikado)